Licensing Requirements: FAQs and Fine Print

Is there a cost for government agencies to get a program license?

There is no cost for a license to adapt or modify. Our purpose in managing the copyright process is only to encourage some level of quality control for the program. We do not charge for this copyright management service,  not even postage. Nor is there any requirement to spend money on us in any other way or to attend one of our trainings. The license is free of charge, period.

What are the "conditions for use" regarding the Landlord Training Program materials?

About verbatim copies: Agencies who wish to print and bind the National Landlord Training Program manual, verbatim, in its entirety, without any modifications or additions, may do so simply by following the instructions at our Document Review site and then printing the current National Landlord Training Program manual in PDF format.

About adapting and customizing the National Program Manual: Agencies who wish to change the manual to take into account local concerns must request and receive permission from us prior to doing so. Qualifying agencies who provide a written request for permission to adapt, modify, excerpt, or otherwise change the National Landlord Training Program manual for use in training local landlords will be provided by us with a signed "Conditions For Use" document, a disk with the National Landlord Training Program manual on it, as well as the overheads in Microsoft PowerPoint format for use in trainings. Subject to the agency agreeing to the conditions for use, permission to adapt and modify the materials will be granted. Since we started this process, over 550 jurisdictions from 47 states as well as Canada and Great Britain, have received permission to adapt and tailor the program through this process. The intent of the Conditions of Use license is to grant you sufficiently broad rights to make reasonable use of the materials for local training needs while restricting the distribution of unapproved or inappropriately adapted materials. If you like, you may review the Conditions For Use document in PDF file format. If you need more information about PDF file format, click here.

"Qualifying agency" defined: While most requests come from law enforcement agencies, city manager's offices, or code enforcement agencies, generally any incorporated public agency will qualify. We also grant permission on a case-by-case basis to incorporated private and non-profit businesses. We do not typically grant permission to private individuals.

What is the process for obtaining a license?

In order to receive a license to adapt or modify the Landlord Training Program materials, qualifying agencies must send by fax or regular mail a signed request on the agency's letterhead, requesting permission to adapt the program. There is no need to write a lengthy letter. Just request that your agency be granted permission to adapt and modify the Landlord Training Program materials for your agency's local use. Upon receipt of such a letter, CDRI will prepare a "Conditions For Use" form and mail it along with a disk copy of the National Landlord Training Program manual and overheads used in the training.  Mail or fax adaptation requests to: Campbell DeLong Resources, Inc. 2627 Northeast 33rd Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97212;  fax: 503-221-4541. 

May we adapt from a licensed manual in our state that has already been changed from the national manual?

Occasionally we get requests from agencies who wish to make use of another in-state agency's adaptation of the Landlord Training Program manual (a "derivative" work).  In order to reduce the risk of problems in a revision being repeated elsewhere, our basic philosophy in handling these situations is "first, return to the source."  Here is how it works:

Step one for making use of any licensed derivative work is to get a license from CDRI for adaptation of the original manual.  The second step depends on whether the "derivative work" in question has been directly created by CDRI (in which case, we can directly provide you with all permissions and the necessary files for that derivative work) or has been created by a licensee independently.  If created by a licensee, then you must still have a license from us to adapt the national program manual -- the original work -- as well as, of course, any permissions required by the relevant agency for those portions of the derivative work that were created independently of CDRI.  Under no circumstances may an agency adapt a derivative work without first gaining a license for use of the original work from CDRI.

What if I want to do something with the manual that I am not sure the license allows?

First, let's get the obvious out of the way: If it involves doing something that is unethical, unfair, illegal or otherwise, well, wrong, don't do it (but then, you already knew that, right?).

On the other hand, if it is something that common sense tells you will plainly benefit the community you serve, please call and speak directly with John Campbell.  Tell him you have found something reasonable you'd like to do that the license seems to forbid.  Don't worry, it is safe to call: We are extremely reasonable people.  We really do want you to be able to serve your community well.  Often, we can simply show you how the desired action is actually already permitted by the license.  However, every once in a while someone stumps us with an idea we didn't cover when designing the license, in which case we can usually find a simple work-around to make sure they can continue using the program appropriately to serve their community.

Where can I see a copy of the license itself?

Click this link for a PDF copy of the license.

Why does CDRI set and manage a no-cost licensing program for the Landlord Training Program?

When we first created the Landlord Training Program in 1989 for the City of Portland, Oregon, with U.S. Department of Justice funding, it was recognized by all parties that this was a program others would want to replicate. While it is great to have a successful program, it also raises the question of how some measure of quality control can be maintained.  In our role as managers of the national program, it was a good fit for us to manage the licensing process as well.

In short, while we grant permission to agencies for modifying the original program to suit local concerns, experience has shown that serious problems can come from unauthorized further adaptations from those already modified programs.  As we manage the licensing of the program, CDRI's mission is to help protect program integrity while promoting the broad use and dissemination of the materials in a manner that will encourage their appropriate use for the benefit of more livable communities. As a for-profit company that does not charge for management of the license process, we are also very committed to making this process as simple and efficient as possible!

What is the history of program document creation and ownership?

Major funding for development of the Landlord Training Program: Keeping Illegal Activity Out of Rental Property was provided by the Bureau of Justice Assistance, U.S. Department of Justice (BJA), which has a license to use the Landlord Training Program materials but, as a Federal agency, does not own the associated copyrights. The Landlord Training Program materials have been created by John H. Campbell or Campbell DeLong Resources, Inc. (CDRI). The copyright to the materials is owned by Campbell DeLong Resources, Inc., with the City of Portland sharing ownership rights to some of the earliest written sections of the material with CDRI.  Initially, management of the copyright was handled by the City of Portland with assistance from CDRI. Later that relationship was reversed, both because management of a national program is not in alignment with the City of Portland's mission and because CDRI and the U.S. Department of Justice were conducting additional collaborative work to create the National Train-the-Trainer program. 

Who should I contact with other questions?

Your best bet is to call us directly with other licensing questions.  Unless we are out of town doing trainings, we should be able to help with your question promptly.  Otherwise, we ask for your patience until we can call you back.  Click the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page for information about how to reach us.